The exhibition “Latins of Cyprus” has been officially opened on July 28th at the Warehouse (Hall M) of the Cyprus Ports Authority in Limassol (old port) by the President of Cyprus’ House of Representatives, Mr. Demetris Syllouris, at the presence of Mrs. Antonella Mantovani, Representative of the Latin Community in the House of Representatives of the Republic of Cyprus, and the Ambassador of Italy in Cyprus, Mr. Andrea Cavallari.
The exhibition, that displays an impressive collection of photographic material, original documents and objects of historical interest, highlights “the influential presence of the Latin Community in Cyprus since 1192, its contribution to the field of social welfare and charity, as well as its impact on the island’s culture” as noted by Mr. Syllouris in his opening speech.
A contribution that continues today, affirmed Mrs. Mantovani, “through its schools, charity organisations, centres for foreign workers, the Archangel Michael Hospice in Paphos and retirement home in Larnaca – without distinguishing nationality or religion.”
The exhibition, inaugurated last October in Nicosia, is an initiative of the Latin Community of Cyprus and has been organised with the support of the House of Representatives as part of the celebrations marking 60 years since the establishment of the Republic of Cyprus and the recognition of the Latin community as one of the religious groups present on the island.
The Embassy of Italy supported the translation into Italian of the panels descriptions and the texts for the printed edition of the exhibition, so as to make it accessible to the Italian-speaking community present on the island and further promote the knowledge of the legacy of the Latin Community in Cyprus.
The exhibition will remain open till October 19th.
Panels are in three languages: Greek, English and Italian.
Opening times: till September 20th between 17:00-20:00 and from September 21st to October 19th between 09:00-13:00 and 17:00-20:00. Free admission.