A week of fine Italian food and dining in Cyprus (and all over the world)
Cyprus will continue to be among the over 100 countries where, from 20 to 26 of November 2017, the 2nd Week of Italian Cuisine in the World will be celebrated: an initiative of the Italian Government to promote the excellence of Italian wines and food abroad which will feature over one thousand events in every continent under the title The Extraordinary Italian Taste.
The Italian Embassy in Nicosia has called upon restaurants and organizations that are particularly committed to Italian dining – with a high quality standard and a rigorous selection of ingredients – to organize special gastronomic and educational events about the Italian culinary tradition.
In Nicosia, three restaurants are participating:
– “Isolani”, offering a particularly rich program which includes traditional Piedmont Sunday lunch, an “osteria style dinner, a pasta workshop, a “junior pizza school” and a wine tasting event. In the context of the candidature of “The traditional art of Italian pizza makers” to the UNESCO Intangible World Heritage list, Isolani is also hosting a special evening dedicated to the traditional Neapolitan pizza.
– “Bar Italia”, with a dinner showcasing renowned specialities from the Campania Region of Italy (the area around Naples) home cooked by Nicola Mercurio;
– “No Reservations” with a gourmet 10 course dinner available all week long prepared by Italian chef Martino Speciale.
In Larnaca, “Red Pepper” is upholding the Italian tradition with a week-long menu which includes favorites such as arancini, parmigiana and osso buco.
In Limassol, “La Boca” joins the celebrations with live pizza and pasta making, special recipes and live Italian music. Recently opened boutique wine shop “Phialé” is hosting an Italian wine tasting event organized together with Italian wine connoisseur Fabrizio Musorella.
That same week, two conferences will be held:
– “The Venetian merchant Giancarlo Mantovani and Larnaca town of the 18th century” organized by the Pierides Museum-Bank of Cyprus Cultural foundation under the auspices of the Italian Embassy, which will also touch on the culinary heritage that the Venetians transmitted to Cyprus;
– “Mediterranean Diet and Sustainable Development” organized by the European Commission representation in Cyprus and the NGO “Bone Vivo”, highlighting the extraordinary benefits of the Mediterranean diet, a tradition that Italy and Cyprus share.
This year’s Italian cuisine week has also been extended to two hotels and a school.
– The “Olympic Lagoon Resort Paphos” and the “Alexander the Great Hotel Paphos” are offering their guests a special set menu prepared by Italian Chef Luca Roscini at the “Garibaldi Ristorante Italiano”. They have mainly chosen traditional Italian dishes from the Regions of Umbria and Lazio hit by a major earthquake in August 2016.
– The American international school (AISC) in Nicosia, in the context of its “International day”, will host Italian chef Lucia Grasso for a pizza workshop explaining the basics of the traditional art of pizza-making to the students.
Please see the attached program for details regarding the events.
Please see also the video “The Fifth Element”The Fifth Element” – on the Excellence of the Italian Agri-food sector around the world, created by the Italian Trade Agency.